Intermediate and advanced students of Italian, here is your chance to burst your ability to speak up a notch. How? Through crowdteaching in Pontelandolfo this spring! WHAT???? Here is the back story –
Gli dico ma.. I was in Pontelandolfo’s library having a conversation with some of my wee English students when like a flash-choir three of them blurted out, “Direi – usa condizionale.” Huh, I replied to the ten year olds who corrected my Italian. One tyke rolled his eyes and shrugged his shoulders. Glielo direi ma, I corrected my sentence – (I was trying to say “I would tell him but…” but had said “I tell him but.”)
Jack and I have been staying longer and longer in Pontelandolfo. When we first visited my Italian was barely there. I was great with gestures, acting out what we needed and generally making everyone from shop keepers to small children in the piazza giggle at my attempt to speak la bella lingua. Over the years my Italian improved and just recently I figured out why – CROWDTEACHING. Hey, if one can have crowdsourcing or crowdfunding – why not crowdteaching? As we became fixtures in the community, more and more people corrected my Italian. Marilina, in Bar Elimar, made me repeat Caffè shakerato a pazillion times this summer. If I wanted a decaf espresso shaken over ice and lusciously turned into a summer drink, I had to stop saying decaffeinato shakerooooo or shakirito or shaken not stirred.
Crowdteaching. Hmmm. Why not share this concept with other students of Italian and combine it with life in a Southern Italian village? That thought has turned into Leap into Language Immersion in Pontelandolfo.
Students of Italian who are currently at the intermediate or advanced level, have the opportunity to experience the language in its natural setting, take formal classes and be corrected everywhere and by lots of people.
You will eat lunch in private homes, play cards with the guys in the bar, roll cheese with the Ruzzola Team and improve your conversational skills. Every home that you visit and every social or cultural activity that you attend will include native speakers correcting your speech. Imagine an extended family of native speakers helping you improve your language skills. There will be laughter, friendships will be built and you will leave with an increased capacity for conversation.
- Transportation from the Benevento train station.
- 7 nights, single or double room, with television, refrigerator and breakfast. Five rooms in this cute B&B have private baths. A two-room suite shares a bath. Unless it is requested, the last 2 people to register will share a room. The shared room will be very large. Il Castello
- 8.5 hours of formal classes and 7 full days of immersion.
- Welcoming apertivo and snacks.
- Pranzo at an agriturismo. Tour the property, play with the animals and perhaps hear a tall tale or two.
- Four (4) meals in local homes. Eat, drink and swap stories with a family in their natural environment. They will want to know all about you and you will want to know all about them. Conversation will swirl. Two participants will be dining in each household.
- Wine and artesian food tasting at a local vintner.
- Pontelandolfo Day – open air market, tasting of locally produced products, and other activities.
- Explore the Sannio hills with Mario! He has walked the mountain hunting truffles, asparagus, mushrooms and more. This is a unique opportunity.
- After a morning of exploring the mountain, pizza pranzo at B&B Calvello.
- Learn the ancient sport of cheese rolling – La Ruzzula!
Thank You Zorrotropa For Their YouTube Video Ruzzola del Formaggio.
- Drink beer and chat with the men who sit in front of the bar daily, play cards and hand games like a native.
- Lecture and tour of the historic church, San Salvatore.
- Italian movie night and discussion.
- Lecture “I Gesti.” Before you leap into the local fray, learn the sign language.
- Learn the traditional folk dances of the town from dance company Ri Ualanegli.
- Excursion to Altilia Roman Ruins.
- Lecture on the history of Pontelandolfo.
Date: Friday, April 20 through Friday, April 27 2018
This cultural adventure is limited to 8 people. For more information e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Crowd-learning – who knew that it would take a village to teach me Italian!